CAHEC has partnered with the National Affordable Housing Management Association (NAHMA) Educational Foundation to offer $25,000 in scholarships to high school seniors living in CAHEC-sponsored properties. Visit the NAHMA Educational Foundation website for information on eligibility requirements and the online application process. To help NAHMA recognize CAHEC applicants, residents are required to type “CAHEC” beside the name of the apartment community on their application. For questions regarding this scholarship, please contact Stefanie Lee at moc.c1519599267ehac@1519599267eels1519599267.
Youth Leadership Initiative
Youth residents of CAHEC-sponsored properties are eligible to apply for he Youth Leadership Initiative. This initiative provides personal development and educational opportunities to our younger residents. Encouraging our youth to set goals at an early age will help shape them into responsible leaders within their communities.
To promote youth empowerment, CAHEC has partnered with the North Carolina Bankers Association Foundation, Camp Challenge. The foundation is committed to promoting financial literacy throughout North Carolina by selecting hundreds of high-achieving, low-resource youth to attend Camp Challenge’s one-week-long summer camp each year.
CAHEC’s initiative provides funding for youth residents living in CAHEC-sponsored properties to attend Camp Challenge. While at camp, youth engage in a variety of traditional camp activities, such as archery, rope courses, swimming, etc., while also participating in educational opportunities focused on personal finances and basic reading, writing, and speaking skills.
In 2017, CAHEC will sponsor 20 youth residents to attend Camp Challenge hosted at the YMCA Camp Weaver in Greensboro, N.C. Sponsorship includes the cost for one week at camp, including meals, overnight stays in the cabin, and all activities. To learn more about this exciting opportunity, please review the grant criteria below.
- Click here to view grant criteria
The application process is competitive, and in order to be considered eligible, all of the following criteria must be met:
- The youth resident lives at a CAHEC-sponsored LIHTC property.
- The youth resident is entering the sixth, seventh, or eighth grade for the 2017-2018 school year.
- If selected, the youth resident agrees to attend Camp Challenge Sunday, July 9 through Friday, July 14, 2017.
- The guardian/parent of the applicant agrees to provide transportation for the camper to and from YMCA Camp Weaver. Transportation is not provided by CAHEC.
- Complete the CAHEC/Camp Challenge Application. Submit application and a nonrefundable $10.00 application fee to P.O.Box 19999, Raleigh, NC 27619 on or before the application deadline of March 15. If accepted, the nonrefundable $10.00 application fee will provide a drink and snack for your camper each day at camp.
- The youth resident agrees to participate in CAHEC grant evaluations..
To learn more about this initiative, residents should contact their property manager. Property Managers with questions may contact Stefanie Lee at (919) 645-9825 or moc.c1519599267ehac@1519599267eels1519599267.
Download Printer-Friendly Version